Saturday, April 21, 2007

Thank You For Smoking

After the horrible events of last week, watching a funny movie was just what I needed. And, thanks to Netflix, I had one to watch -- "Thank You For Smoking".

It's a satirical look at the lengths to which the tobacco companies will go to spin their products. The movie featured Robert Duvall as the head of a tobacco lobbying firm, Katie Holmes, who gave a so-so performance as a reporter, Sam Elliott as a former "Marlboro Man", who is dying of cancer, William H. Macy, a senator who is trying to get congress to require that a skull and cross-bones be put on every cigarette package.

Nick Naylor was the lobbyist who's job it was to spin cigarettes as the benign products that all of the tobacco companies have claimed they were for decades, all evidence to the contrary. He was played by Aaron Eckhart. I had never seen him in a film before, but, I'll be watching for him because he did a wonderful job and he's a hunk. ( I'm old, but not too old to appreciate a hunk when I see one. There may be snow on the rooftop, but there's still a fire in the furnace.)

Anyway, this movie was laugh out loud hilarious. I didn't even notic the use of that "F" word. Much. Let's just say it didn't get in the way of my enjoyment of the movie.

I recommend it.

9 comments:

Kell said...

That one's on my list. I've heard it was hilarious. It was a good weekend for funny movies!

This time, Jay didn't get the memo about movie review on Monday.

Anonymous said...

I've heard that this one is really good!

LOL Poor Jay this time. You guys need to plan this "blog theme day" better!

Jay said...

The movie was a riot. A lot of great one-liners.

katy said...

will look out for that one coming on sky movies ta, yep we are never too old to ogle at a hunk!

Newt said...

It's on our list. I'm looking forward to it arriving in the mail. Seems like everyone likes it.

Erica Ann Putis said...

I saw that movie - it was really funny... And the main actor was so good in it. :)

CarmenSinCity said...

Sounds funny! I'm gonna have to order it from Netflix too.

Anonymous said...

I had not heard of this movie, but it has two of my all time favorites right off the bat - Robert Duvall and Sam Elliott! Thanks for the tip! I could use a good laugh...

Melissa said...

I enjoyed that movie - one of the few I actually went to the theatre to watch. Very well made.

P.S. Katie Holmes was the one actor who rubbed me the wrong way - just couldn't quite believe her.