Thursday, December 04, 2014

Home Again

These days, it takes me a lot longer to recover from things.  We spent all last week in Omaha, Nebraska, celebrating Thanksgiving with my daughter and son-in-law, Kelley and Allen.  It's always fun once we get there, and we're always glad to get back home.  However, it has taken me until today to recover. 

The difficult part is the seven hour drive each way.  If there's a more boring drive in this country, I can't imagine what it is.  From Kansas City to Omaha, there is absolutely nothing interesting to see.  It's just flat, straight countryside with nothing to relieve the boredom.  I don't know how people stand to live in Iowa.  One year, we decided to vary the route, and drove through parts of Kansas, with the same result.  Yawn.

Anyway, as I was saying, once we got there, the fun began.  Kelley had to work Monday and Tuesday, but Allen was off all week, which meant he and Jay could run and play - by that I mean they could explore the newest breweries and I could stay at the house with the grandpuppies.  We napped together.

On Thanksgiving, Kelley served a breakfast casserole that had been in the crock pot all night.  Yummy.  Later that morning, we had Mimosas, while Kelley prepared Turkey Roulade with chestnut stuffing.  We didn't exactly have the groaning sideboard that a lot of families have, as there are only four of us in my little family.  But, we did have the usual mashed potatoes and green beans, cranberry sauce, gravy and rolls.

While we ate our meal, Kelley put a delicious apple pie to bake in the oven, which we had a little later, with vanilla bean ice cream.

It was a very tasty day.  We had a nice visit and on Saturday, we made the long, dull trek home.

Now, on to Christmas, which will be pretty quiet, as always.  We will put up our little tree, hang a wreath on the door, finish our shopping, and we'll be ready for Santa.

Stay tuned.

10 comments:

Arkansas Patti said...

Outside of the long boring drive, sounds like a perfect Thanksgiving to me. I have heard that part of the country is a yawn.

Olga said...

That trip would have been 7 hours of extra sleep for me if I was not the driver. Enjoy your visit from Santa.

Galla Creek said...

Even though the drive was a drag, I am so glad you were able to go and celebrate together!

marlu said...

Some of us plains dwellers love the view of unobstructed skies, flat fields of wheat or sunflowers or cotton. It does take all kinds! :)

Galla Creek said...

Merry Christmas to you, too!

marlu said...

Merry Christmas to ALL!

yellowdoggranny said...

there are parts of Texas that are flat dry and ugly..but every so often some weird Texan will throw up a gigantic rabbit with horns, or stick a bunch of cadillacs into the ground ..or have dome shaped caterpillar's winding around ..or some other weird contraption..life is good..Merry Christmas..

BBC said...

It is a nine hour drive to go visit my daughter. Nine hours of heavy traffic but I enjoy myself once I get there.

In October I drove to central Texas to meet and visit some blog friends, took me three and a half long days, but it was worth it, they are cool people.

Galla Creek said...

I checked the obits in the Harrison Times. Betty you are not dead. Rise up and say something. I want to hear your blog blow!

Grayquill said...

The thing about boring drives, I think they become boring when they are no longer new. The Seattle Portland drive....boring The Portland to Seattle drive -more boring. I want to do your boring drive just once...I think:-)
Happy new year.