Sunday, March 30, 2014

Preachers and Politics

I'm not here to talk about religion, as such. I have no problem with anyone's religion, whatever it may be. I respect the beliefs of all people, even the people who have no religious beliefs at all.

My problem is withe people who think their beliefs are stronger than anyone else's. There are those who believe, truly believe, that they are "Super Christians," if you will, and that there is no place in America for those who don't agree. And, they are trying very hard to take over the government through their churches.

For that, I think we can blame the preachers.  Anyone can declare him/herself a "Pastor" and little groups have sprung up all over the country, calling themselves churches.  Their real aim is to avoid paying taxes, while convincing their flocks that they are superior Christians.  I'd be willing to bet that most of the televangelists started out this way.  And, we have let them get away with it.  But, in my humble opinion, it's time for some strict regulations.

In recent years, preachers have been insinuating themselves and their churches in to politics. They pass out position papers for various candidates and even deliver political messages under the guise of sermons, in which they try to indoctrinate their captive audiences in their political theories, usually very conservative, and even demonizing the party with which they don't agree.

The reason churches have always been exempt from taxes is that they have been expected to be "neutral" in their politics.  This has really gone by the wayside.  Now, they are having candidates come and speak in their churches on Sunday, appearing on talk shows to expound their preferences, and some are even running for office themselves.

Therefore, I believe churches should be taxed, just like any business and preachers should have to pay taxes just like anyone else.

We can't be swayed by their attempts to turn the country into a Theocracy.  This country was founded by a group of people who fled their homes in order to find religious freedom.  If we let that go by the wayside, we are doomed as a free society.  And, I don't want to live in a country where people are persecuted by a group of religious zealots.

Stay tuned.

7 comments:

Olga said...

I agree whole heartedly. And then they say we need to get back to the intentions of our founding fathers. I think some history lessons are in order. And businesses that sell to the public want to take one stand or another in the name of their religious beliefs. If you run a Christian bookstore then I know what to expect, otherwise keep your views to yourself. Or I am not shopping there, Hobby Lobby.

Arkansas Patti said...

You are preaching to the choir here. Totally agree.

katie eggeman said...

I'm with you....and I am in the minority here in the bible belt.

marlu said...

Another voice in the bible belt who says believe what you want to but don't tell me what I have to do to follow your beliefs.

Judy said...

Totally agree!

Anonymous said...

As an atheist I have always said that people should be free to follow any religion which makes them happy, so long as they do no harm to others and don't come knocking on my door trying to tell me what I should believe.

Grayquill said...

If I were you I would look for a new church. I think preachers do have to pay personal income tax, but yeah their churches are exempt.