Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Memorial in Tucson

Oh, boy. Sarah Palin and John Boehner both managed to step in it today, didn't they?  I can't say I'm surprised.

Mrs. Palin didn't exactly cover herself with glory when she released a tape this morning, characterizing herself as a victim in the many discussions of the possible causes of the shooting in Tucson.  She first pointed out that the only person who was responsible for the shooting was the shooter, himself.  Then, in the next breath, she blamed the media and the pundits.

In the middle of her psychobabble, she made some convoluted comparison to "blood libel," which served no obvious purpose other than to point out her antisemitism. Blood Libel is a false accusation that Jews use the blood of Christian children in certain of their religious rituals.  It certainly had no bearing on what happened Saturday in Tucson. Wonder which of her minions persuaded her to use that phrase.

Then, there was the "Weeper of the House,"  John Boehner.  He got all chocked up, once again, as he spoke during the House of Representatives' memorial.  He was apparently so upset that he couldn't bear to go to the memorial in Tucson because he  refused both an invitation from the Governor of Arizona and an invitation from President Obama to accompany him to Arizona in Air Force One.

Boehner had a previous commitment.  He had to go to a cocktail party with a bunch of lobbyists who had their billfolds open. Later, Tom Brokaw commented that it would have been no problem postponing the fund raiser for a day or more.

So, who thinks the political rhetoric will be toned down?

7 comments:

Arkansas Patti said...

I can only hope it will but doubt it. We have just become too polarized.

Alan G said...

I knew that sooner or later unfortunately Palin would weigh-in and she delivered with just what one would have expected from someone of her mentality.

As to Boehner, I was really shocked at his decision! Granted I am no fan but I find it reprehinsible that he did not attend the memorial service.

Margie's Musings said...

People who are not too bright should not speak out much. That removes all doubt as to their intellect. Neither of them are very bright.

I am reminded of George W., who had an entire book written about his "Bushisms". I would be mortified.

Palen has never impressed anyone with her remarks. She must try to give the impression of an intellect she doesn't have. Poor thing!

NitWit1 said...

I find the bloggerworld "highly polarized" too. This is the main reason I do no social networking like Facebook, Twitter, My Space. I am appalled at the language, lack of courtesy.... I am too old for this, I guess.

Why not dwell on the wonderful statements made by those at the memorial, not their party affiliation, or any other afililiation. Like (paraphrasing) Pres. " polite, respectful political retoric.

I remember when debate on the House or Senate Floor, always was predicated with the Hon. Sen from the The state of, I respect your point, but I disagree, or wish to suggest.

I may become the Mickey Mouse or Snoopy write-in voter.

Kay Dennison said...

You know that I agree unequivocally. And I've gone on record on my blog on what I think of Sarah Palin and John Boehner. Both, to me, personify what is so very wrong with the GOP. Check out the video I posted today. It's sad when a comedian speaks more truth than those who are, or are aspiring to be, our leaders.

Anonymous said...

Who thinks the political rhetoric will be toned down? Not me.

Unfortunately, it seems to work.

Not until the voters demand it will the tone change.

Joy Des Jardins said...

Just when I think I can't be any more disgusted with Sarah Palin...she opens her mouth again. I just don't understand why she's still around. It's a ridiculously cruel joke.

And bad decision on Boehner's part. He could have shown us all a little class and character...especially those who aren't that fond of him; but he chose not to. Shame on him.