Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Big Lebowski


The other day, I watched "The Big Lebowski." Yes, yes, I know it's an old movie, but back then, I wouldn't have fully appreciated the Coen Brothers. But, now I do, and I find that scary, but there it is.

Jeff Bridges (Lebowski, or as he preferred, "Dude") and John Goodman (professional Vietnam vet, flashbacks and all) are the perfect, though odd, couple. Bridges is mellow and Goodman is over the top.

Dude gets caught up in a situation he can't control, because for some reason, someone steals his favorite living room rug, and he sets out to find it. Don't ask. I still don't know why the rug was stolen, but it's as good a reason as any to explain the case of mistaken identity, which puts Dude on the path of destruction that is the rest of the movie.

The plot is full of twists and turns that I can't begin to describe, one more absurd and hilarious than the last.

I have been described as someone with a mind like an unmade bed, and this is what you might need to enjoy this romp. Also, if you can't tolerate a story where none of the characters seem to be able to utter a complete sentence without the "F" word, probably, you'll want to give this one a pass.








Stay tuned.

8 comments:

Kay Dennison said...

I love the Coen Brothers' films and thanks for reminding me that I need to see it again.

Most of my friends call my mind 'eclectic' which I assume is a polite term that translates as 'unmade bed'. LOL You, my friend, and I are the mustard on the meat of life! Long may we rave!!!!

kenju said...

I loved that movie - very funny. My mind must be like an unmade bed too; flitting from one thing to another and never smoothing out.....lol

Arkansas Patti said...

Might put that in my queue though I do prefer dialog that doesn't rely on F*** as punctuation.

Judy said...

My twenty something sons have made me watch all of these type of movies. They are an acquired taste, but I am a tad twisted, so I appreciate the humor. The boys and their humor keep me from becoming an old geezer. We're all going to Yellowstone for 6 months so my mind will be even more twisted when they're done with me.

Anonymous said...

I surfed in to your place. I like it. I have seen The Big L, and most Coen Brothers movies. Fargo is my favorite. They are working on True Grit now, and theirs should be an interesting take on that story.

Joy Des Jardins said...

I love most of the stuff the Coen Brothers do...and The Big L is definitely one of them. I saw it a couple of times. Yeah, I guess I'm an unmade bed too.

Have a good weekend Betty... ~Joy

Betty said...

Kay: "Mustard on the meat of life". I like it.

kenju: That's why I can't seem to settle down to write a blog every day. lol

Patti: This movie is so funny, you kind of forget about the language.

Judy: My son does the same thing. I wouldn't have "discovered" the Coen brothers on my own.

Suzanne: Welcome. I'll check out your blog, too.

Joy: Thanks. You have a good weekend, too.

Darlene said...

Come to think about it a mind like a unmade bed fits mine perfectly.

I haven't seen this movie, but I need a laugh and my put it in my queue.