Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Message Loud and Clear

The President was in full lecture mode tonight, wasn't he? He scolded the Republicans, the Democrats AND the Supreme Court. He even tweaked the media pundits and their "sound bites". And, they all needed it.

Five times he referred to bills that had been passed by the House, and said nothing about the Senate. By his silence, he made his point about the Senate dragging its heels. I hope Harry Reid was taking notes.

I liked the speech. I can see where some in that chamber didn't. I doubt if he will see much change in those folks. But, I'll bet the President feels better. He seemed to enjoy it.

-----

The newly elected Governor of Virginia made the rebuttal speech. His problem was it's hard to rebut a speech you haven't heard.

-----

Our very own Blanche Lincoln, who purports to be a Democrat, held a news conference the other day to brag about the fact that she received $1.5 Million in the previous quarter. That was an "in your face" to those nine Republicans who are planning to run against her, and maybe a 10th in the person of Representative John Boozeman, who hopes to be movin' on up to the Senate.

She thanked the "people of Arkansas" who sent donations, but they were the wrong people to thank. She should have thanked the insurance and pharmaceutical companies. No matter how much she boasts about having $5 Million on hand, she could still lose. So, yesterday she announced that she would not vote yes on passing the healthcare bill by reconciliation. OK. Her vote isn't needed for that, anyway. Somehow, though, I don't think that will save her. She deserves to lose.

-----

Four Republicans broke into Mary Landrieu's office in Louisiana and got caught at it. They made up some cockamamie story about why they broke in, and I hope they realize that what they did was still illegal. If not, they're in for a big surprise.

Two of these guys were in on the "fake pimp" attack on ACORN, a Republican dirty trick that worked well enough to fool some of the people into thinking that ACORN wasn't to be trusted. In fact, I imagine some people still believe the story.

-----

John and Elizabeth Edwards are going to divorce. Maybe we can just shut up about them, now.

-----

The newest anxiously awaited Apple innovation has been introduced, and someone in the company should have had the foresight to realize that it shouldn't be called the I-Pad. Already people are tweeting, blogging, and referring to the product as a feminine product which I won't name. I will tell you that word is that the I-Pad will be sold in two sizes - Mini and Maxi.

Stay tuned.

17 comments:

Arkansas Patti said...

Do politics ever just wear you out?? Sometimes I just get so weary of the infighting but know I have to keep up or get stomped on.
Thanks for doing my leg work for me.
I would like a Mini... I think.

Jay said...

We can stop talking about John Edwards if he would just go away.

Kay Dennison said...

John Edwards needs to grow up! His wife should have dumped him years ago.

As to Obama's speech: Is it real or is it rhetoric?

Margaret said...

Yep, the Prez had the Supreme Court judge shakin' his head!,,Well, too bad!

and, Elizabeth shoulda' thrown the bum out MONTHS ago...broke my heart to hear that she bought his new baby a Christmas gift..arghhh

Grayquill said...

I came expecting razzelled praise for Obama’s speech and received so much more. Thanks for hurling chunks way beyond my expectations :) I even got my expected laugh. You are the best!

Betty said...

Arkansas Patti: Yes, I get tired of politics,but I have very little else to blog about. That's what happens when you've been blogging for three or four years. All your cute little anecdotes have been told and I won't talk about the private lives of my kids. Also, I'm pretty reclusive, so I don't have daily adventures like some bloggers, so there you have it. lol

Jay:Yes, yes, I know how you feel about John Edwards. I'm not crazy about what he did, either, but there are two sides of that story. We're beginning to hear about what a harridan Elizabeth has always been. Maybe we'll hear the full story some day.

Kay: As I told Jay, I think what he did was wrong, too, but I still think we don't know the whole story about that marriage.

Margaret: Apparently, there is a long history between Obama and Alito. Obama voted against Alito's confirmation. So, we may see more fireworks some day.

Karen said...

Edwards ego is amazing. I know you have have a certain ego to get that far in politics, but he is beyond.

I didn't find much redeeming in the Republican Response. All I really learned is that the new governor of VA has 3 kids who he likes to brag about.

Also, I am wondering if the Supreme Court is required to be stone-faced. No one justice cracked a smile or clapped at all.

Betty said...

Karen: I don't think the Supreme Court ever reponds at the State of the Union. They are there merely as observers, not as partisans, so they don't show any emotion on purpose. That's why everyone was so surprised at Alito.

Looking to the Stars said...

Love all your comments. I feel Obama put everyone in thier place and they didn't like it. It's what I like about Obama, he tells it like it is. I don't know if he'll be able to get anything done now but to me, he's a breath of fresh air :)

Betty said...

Grayquill: What can I say? I like the guy.

Looking to the Stars: I think he is a very patient person who has finally had enough.

Grayquill said...

Hi Betty, Driving around this week, of course the buzzy-wuzz filled the air waves with Alito's silent words. I wondered if Ailto is having one of those, "I am so embarassed? weeks. And, when he had to face his fellow justices? Did they make him walk the road of shame? Or maybe he is not the rest of us or at least me that regularly and often say, "I wish I could take that back." D'OH!

Darlene said...

Thanks for saying all I wanted to say. Good Post as always, Betty,

Betty said...

Hi, back, Grayquill: There's obviously some personal animosity there between Obama and Alito. But, Alito is probably embarrassed about all the media criticism he got.

Darlene: Sometimes there is so much I want to say that I can't get it organized enough to say it. lol

Tincanman said...

Sadly, Blanch Lincoln is our own 'Joe Lieberman' in heels and a skirt. A Democrat in name only. I heard a U of A political science professor state that John Boozeman could easily defeat Blanch in the next election because "...Senator Lincoln has abandoned Arkansas constituents in favor of voting consistently in-line with liberal Washington Democrats." I don't know what that professor has been smoking but that statement is as far from the truth as you can get.

Betty said...

That professor must be living on some other planet (as Barney Franks might say), because Blanche Lincoln is much more like a Republican than a Democrat. I've always thought it was strange that a state full of Republicans would flock to the polls and vote for Democrats in the elections. Our Democrats have to be pretty conservative I guess. But, Blanche is far more interested in lining her pockets than she is in doing the right thing for her constituents. I'm not too crazy about Mark Pryor, either.

Grayquill said...

I linked your blog on my last post - hey, you might even like this post - HA!

Anonymous said...

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it