Monday, December 01, 2008

Now, We Can Have Christmas

I'm back. We had such a good time! Our good friend, Judy went with us and she graciously offered to take her van and Jay drove - 8 hours through some of the most boring countryside I've ever seen. Sorry, Missouri, Iowa and Nebraska.

Kell and Cosette greeted us at the door and the aroma of Petit Jean Peppered Ham drew us into the house and to the kitchen.

We were there for a week, and every morning, Cosette had to pounce on me and play kissy-face until I made her get down. That puppy sure is a snuggle-bug!

On Thanksgiving, Kell roasted the turkey that she had "brined" over night - mighty moist and tasty. She also had two kinds of cranberry sauce, dressing, mashed potatoes, green beans, rolls, an asparagus casserole and gravy. Then, after all that started digesting, we had our choice of warm apple pie and ice cream or vanilla bean cheesecake. Quite a spread, and all of it delicious. I love to go to Kell's for Thanksgiving!

Then, on Saturday morning, we climbed back into the van and started home, in the rain, sleet, snow and fog. Poor Jay had to drive through all that until we were almost to Branson. After we had been home for an hour or so, it started snowing here, and we had a dusting on the grass by Sunday morning.

I spent a lot of time reading blogs yesterday. I had over 300 of them to catch up on. And, no, I didn't comment on any of them. Now, I'm caught up, though, and things can return to what passes for normal in my little corner of the world.

I am proud to announce that, except for one gift, I have finished my Christmas shopping. I didn't get up at 4:30 a.m. Friday with Judy and Kell and hit the stores. No. That's just too much for me and my poor old arthritic bones. I almost always do my shopping on line. It's just so easy and, so far, I haven't been disappointed.

Well, that's about it for me today. I'll try to think of something else to say in a day or two. I'm never without words for long.

Later.

12 comments:

Kay Dennison said...

Welcome back, Betty! I missed you! Glad you had a good time!!!!

Word Tosser said...

Welcome back Betty.... I missed you too... glad you had a great time with everyone..but it sounds like the drive back could be stressful.

Margie's Musings said...

I'm happy you're back, Betty!

Karen said...

Done with your Christmas shopping???? What did you get me?

Welcome back.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a wonderful week. Welcome home and back to the blogging world!

kenju said...

Welcome back! Except for the scenery and the weather, it sounds as if Thanksgiving was successful. Glad to hear it.

Anonymous said...

Glad that you enjoyed Thanksgiving Betty. Dinner sounds great, but 'she who must be obeyed' wants to know if Americans ever eat anything other than 'mashed potatoes'? Whenever you see an American family on TV or in a movie it's always .."pass the mashed potatoes". Normally with roast turkey (at Christmas in the UK) we have oven roasted potatoes.
French fries don't count. :-)

CarmenSinCity said...

Welcome Back!

Betty said...

Kay, Margie, Kenju, Grannymar,Carmensincity: Thanks, it's good to be home.

Wordtosser: All the bad weather made a long drive even longer.

Karen: A life-sized, autographed picture of Sarah Palin. Joking, I'm joking!

John: Please tell she who must be obeyed that a generous helping of mashed potatoes is a favorite "comfort food" here. However, I learned to love them from my British grandmother, who never seemed to serve a meal without them. I, therefore, believed the dish was a favorite in Britain. Most people seem to have sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving and/or Christmas. But, Jay won't touch them.

Newt said...

One of these years I am joining you for thanksgiving. Even if I'm not invited just throw a plate out on the porch. It sounds wonderful!

Mari Meehan said...

Welcome back! I always miss your pithy but right on commentary!

Maria said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. What kind of dog is Cosette? I had a cocker spaniel named Cosette when I was in high school back in the 50's. My brother was teaching in a High School in Chicago and asked his class to choose a good name for his little sister's new dog. The name the class decided on was Cosette.