Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Bail Out or No Bail Out?

Lately, I've been feeling more and more like Miss Pittypat, in Gone With the Wind. Next thing you know, I'll be waiving my lace hanky around, dabbing my forehead with it and dithering, "Oh, Ah just don't know, Uncle Peter! Ah just don't know!"

When the announcement was made that the Republicans and Democrats had reached a bipartisan agreement on the $700 Billion Bail-out, I was relieved. Then, the next day, after it all went up in a cloud of Republican smoke, I was, well, relieved. WTF!?!

Maybe I just don't understand the situation. Ya think? There are one or two things that I am sure about, though.

1. Nancy Pelosi made a silly speech, attacking the Bush Administration. Even if she was right, it was not the time or place for that kind of speech.

2. All the Republicans who whined (smarmy John Boener) that they voted against the bill because Nancy hurt their widdle feelings need to put on their big-boy pants and get over it.

After further thought, I'm still relieved that the bill didn't pass. I know we need to take action of some sort, but BushCo was trying to shove it down our throats. I'm deeply suspicious when anyone tries to ram a bill through Congress and the Senate, claiming time is of the essence. The original plan was only three pages long. Does that seem right, considering the extent of the catastrophe? It gave Paulson (who?) absolute power, with no oversight and no accountability.

The second attempt wasn't much better. It did call for some oversight, but didn't call for any accountability for the people who got us into this whole mess in the first place. No punishment for the fatcats who made out like bandits. And, it didn't offer any bail-out for the citizens who got caught up in the frenzy of greed that led to this economic disaster.

Maybe when they convene again Thursday, they will be able to put aside all the posturing and politicking (Note to John McCain: Just butt out!), and put some real thought into what is best for the country in the long run, keeping in mind that more than a few heads need to roll and some jail terms need to be judiciously meted out.

Keep your fingers crossed.

More later.

7 comments:

Mari Meehan said...

I'll keep my fingers crossed but won't hold my breath!

kenju said...

AMEN,AMEN,AMEN!

Linda said...

I totally agree. I'm getting as bad as the politicians. I thought I was for the bill before I was against it. Why should we believe the bunch that got us into this?

Sounds to me like we're letting the fox guard the hen house. Can't this wait until a new President and a new Congress? We didn't get into it in a month and we won't get out in a month.

Margie's Musings said...

Note that the stock marker recovered some today...all by itself. I still think Wall Street can fix this thing if the government just stays out of it. The government's role is to put some regulations back in the mix. The fat cats love it when they can just help themselves.

Maria said...

I am probably the only person that put money into GE stock a week ago. Well, it was down to 28 and I thought now is the time to buy. LOL I will have to set these shares aside for grandkids college fund. I figure in 16 years, the stock will be worth something.

Dianne said...

I pretty much felt the same way and I was getting nervous that the last 8 years had caused me permanent brain damage.

A new meaning for Bush-Whacked

CarmenSinCity said...

My fingers are crossed! i don't know enough about it to make an informed decision. I just know that we need some help, the economy is in total upheaval, I really want to keep my job and I would be so bummed if I lost everything that I worked so hard for. I hope the decision makers make the right decision for us :)