Monday, January 08, 2007

Mmmmmm Good!

My daughter loves to cook and bake. Me, not so much. However, I do have a few delicious recipes that I have prepared over the years that have been very successful, if I do say so myself.

One such recipe is a dessert that my good friend, L and I regularly enjoyed in our dormitory dining room in college. We never learned its name, but have always called it "Pineapple Gooey". Before we moved out of the dorm that year, we went to the kitchen and obtained the recipe and upon reading it, discovered that it fed 500. Neither one of us expected to be entertaining anything close to that number so, we put the recipe away until we could get it down to a manageable size. After L married the accountant that I had introduced her to, it occurred to her that he could probably figure out how to reduce the ingredients, which he did, much to our delight. Since then, we have both periodically prepared the recipe and, not only is it delicious, but it brings back some very pleasant memories. What could be better?

So, I thought I would share it with my blogging friends. It can't possibly have more than 1400 calories per spoonful, so if that doesn't satisfy you, you can always embellish it with a dollop of whipped cream on each serving.

Here it is:

Pineapple Gooey

5 egg yolks
1 ½ C sugar
1 stick butter
¼ C whipping cream
1 ½ C crushed pineapple, drained.
¾ lb. vanilla wafers, crushed
½ C maraschino cherries (or more, to taste) cut up
6 oz chopped pecans

Beat egg yolks. Add sugar, butter, cream and pineapple. Cook, stirring until butter melts and mixture comes to full boil. Make layer of wafer crumbs, cooked mixture, nuts and cherries. Continue layering (2 or 3 layers). Refrigerate several hours (pineapple mixture will thicken.) Serve with whipped cream, or not.


You'll need to use a really big pan or casserole dish for this, because it still feeds lots of people, but that can be a good thing, if you're taking it to a pot luck or having a dinner party, right?

Good luck. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

5 comments:

SongBird said...

Mmmmmmmm....sounds delish!

Annie said...

Comfort food, I think. I could imagine rolling around in a tub of it if it weren't for the nuts.

Newt said...

yum. Of course in my book anything with nilla wafers is yum.

Mari Meehan said...

Man, you had to post that as I finish my first week on the Southbeach induction phase ritual that I embark on every year after the holidays!

Thank heaven for printers!

Kell said...

I am so hungry now.