Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Stealing Another Meme

Realizing that Jay's meme will surely "date" me, I will neverthless try it.

1. What year was it? 1958, Little Rock Central High School, the year of integration. A very interesting year

2. What were your three favorite bands? I liked all of the big bands.

3. What was your favorite outfit? Straight skirt, two-piece sweater set, pennyloafers, bobbysox.

4. What was up with your hair? Blame my mother. She wouldn't let me have bangs (I finally had them cut, anyway, and there was nothing she could do about it. Ha). She didn't like long hair, either. So, my outfit was always ruined because I couldn't have a pony tail. Alas.

5. Who were your best friends? Nancy, Vida, and Jenell.

6. What did you do after school? Talked on the phone.

7. Did you take the bus? No. We had a car pool.

8. Who did you have a crush on? M. (swoon)

9. Did you fight with your parents? Did we fight????? Not with Daddy, but Mother and I didn't have a real conversation until he died, and there went our go-between.

10. Who did you have a CELEBRITY crush on? Paul Newman.

11. Did you smoke cigarettes? Yes

12. Did you lug all of your books around in your backpack all day because you were too nervous to find your locker? No, my locker was just outside my homeroom, and our school was safe, anyway, with the 101st Airborn guarding us.

13. Did you have a 'clique'? No.

14. Did you have "The Max" like Zach, Kelly and Slater? The what? Like who?

15. Admit it, were you popular? Maybe semi-popular. I knew everyone, mostly because I was on our newspaper staff. But, not popular in the sense of cheerleader popular.

16. Who did you want to be just like? Dorothy, a friend of my mother's. She was so elegant looking. I wasn't fool enough to believe I could ever achieve that level of coolness, though.

17. What did you want to be when you grew up? I wanted to write the Great American Novel. And work on a big city newspaper.

18. Where did you think you'd be at the age you are now? New York, or some other big city. A long, long way from Harrison, Arkansas. Wonder what went wrong? LOL

6 comments:

Kell said...

A straight skirt and two-piece sweater set . . .Hey! That's what I like to wear!

Betty said...

Kell, but do you have a Poodle Skirt?

F&W said...

Kell and Betty - same outfits here too!

Dying to know, which big bands? Despite being born in 1972 and graduating in 1990, I was raised on big bands and swing. Thanks to my 1943 Daddy, I grew up on Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, Gene Krupa, etc. *sigh* Born too late, I guess.

Betty said...

chelle p, I liked all the ones you named. Especially Glenn Miller.

Tink said...

I would totally wear a "poodle skirt." Although I'd have to recommend a choice in other types of dogs. ;)

Mari Meehan said...

Boy, I MUST be old! We didn't have back packs.