Friday, June 02, 2006

Shopping Rant

I knew I shouldn't, but I did it, anyway. Went grocery shopping at noon on Friday. I had been going at noon on Saturday, after everyone had finished his/her weekend shopping. So, why did I change my habit and go today? Because I am old and I forgot what a hassle Fridays are. I don't know why son, Jay, didn't remind me.

Anyway, there I was in the middle of a crowd of even older people who totter around, using their shopping carts as walkers. They stop every few feet, leaving the carts in the middle of the aisle, to stare at the produce, etc., as if if is going to morph into something different, more tasty, less expensive.

There were two middle-aged women who must not have seen each other in decades, because they were slowly walking side-by-side, cart-by-cart, taking up the entire aisle, oblivious to the long line of shoppers (me and Jay) behind them. They would walk and chat for a few feet, then stop short, for emphasis, and chat some more.

Jay doesn't appear to get as agitated as I do with these people. But then, he has just driven thru the bank drive-thru, where he pulled up behind a car because it looked as if it was going to leave. Then, he discovered the driver had to consult with the other three people in the car before she transacted her business. I had the feeling she was lost. "We need three Big Macs, OneFish Sandwich, four Fries and Three Cokes and a Lemonade." He let off a lot of steam before we ever got to the store.

Note to self: No more grocery shopping on Friday.

Rant over.

No comments: