Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Peas, Peas, Peas


Heard this on the news out of Springfield, MO tonight. A man with emphysema started having an annoying cough. He wasn't getting any better, so his wife took him to the Emergency Room. They took x-rays and after scrutinizing them for a while, discovered that there was something in his lung.

Turns out it was a pea. He had apparently eaten peas recently and one went down the wrong chute and lodged in his lung. It didn't just sit there, either. It split and started growing. By the time they found out what it was, it was about 1/4" long (that's pretty big in a lung).

Of course, they operated and removed it. The man seemed to have a good sense of humor about it all. He said the first meal they allowed him to have was a plate containing, among other things, peas.

He said he ate 'em.

Stay tuned.

5 comments:

Arkansas Patti said...

Seriously doubt I would have eaten the peas. Always wondered what happened to stuff that goes down the wrong pipe.

NitWit1 said...

As a person with COPD and asthma I can tell you, persons with breathing disorders do not breath rhythmically as they should, whether due to the disease/disorder, or medications. I have choked on pure air, dumb, but true.

The man is fortune, because anything foreign in the airways leads to choking and death.

I did not hear the story, and live close to Springfield. great human interest story. Only green peas I like are frozen cooked. Burnt out on canned onee with young and too many public luncheon/dinner invitations which included institutional packaged green peas.

Now black-eyed or crowder peas are another story.

Olga said...

It is amzing what a fierce drive plants have to germinate and grow. After a morning spent weeding my garden, I can only shake my head at this story.

Joy Des Jardins said...

The fact that that little pea actually starting growing in his lung kind of 'ooges me out'....I don't think I'd be eating any peas for a while. ~Joy

kenju said...

That is just SO weird.