I don't get many phone calls, but when I do get one, it's usually at the wrong time. So, I have decided to put a new message on my answering machine. The following are Betty's rules for incoming calls:
Hello. This is Betty. Of course, you know I am at home, as I hardly ever go out, but I have developed some new telephone rules that I hope you will commit to memory, or write down for future reference, concerning the times when I will not be answering the phone.
1. From 10:00 to 11:00 a.m. weekdays, I will be watching the view and don't have time to talk to you, especially if the special guest is Hugh Jackman or any of the special agents on NCIS, or if they are having a day of hot topics.
2. From 4:00 to 5:30 p.m. weekdays, I will be either reading blogs or writing one, or watching Judge Judy and then Jeopardy, so this would not be a good time to annoy me with your inane blather.
3. Under no circumstances will I answer a call on Tuesday night from 7:00 p.m. on. It is NCIS night at 7:00 and NCIS Los Angeles at 8:00, and then Chopped at 9:00. There may be a chance that I would answer a call between 10:00 and 11:00 p.m., but if you want to keep me happy, you'll wait for a better time to chit-chat.
4. Do not call me from 9:00 to 11:00 a.m. on Sunday morning, as I will be concentrating on The Sopranos. I would hate to miss out on someone getting whacked. Ba-da Bing!
5. Under no circumstances should you call before 9:00 a.m. any morning, unless it is a dire emergency. If I happen to answer, I will probably be cranky.
Just follow my rules and nobody will get hurt.