Thursday, August 16, 2007

A Great Reunion

A couple of years ago, I got an e-mail from my college roommate, suggesting that we meet in Fayetteville and have a little reunion. We had stayed loosely in touch over the years, but had never actually gotten together, due to distance and time constraints, kids, jobs, husbands etc., etc., etc.

She had heard that our old dormitory had been renovated and turned into an Inn, and she suggested that it would be fun to stay there. So we did, and had a fine visit. There were three of us at that reunion.

We had planned to meet again the next year, and invite several others we had lived with, but we were unable to work it out. So, this year, we planned it again. This time there were four of us and we had a rip-roarin' good time - or as rip-roarin' as we get at our ages.

As soon as we arrived, we started talking, of course. The first order of business was what one of us called the "organ recital" - a discussion of our aches, pains, operations, and general physical complaints. Turns out, three of the four had survived various types of cancer and the fourth was able to contribute with a description of her surgery.

Once that was out of the way, we moved on to the "Do you remember?s." We talked for two days, with breaks for sleeping and some sightseeing. We discovered that we couldn't stay awake as late as we used to, and we started yawning at around 10 p.m. But, we were in the restaurant by 8:00 each morning, chattering and laughing again.

One of the women had brought her husband with her, and we enjoyed his company so much that we decided to give him the honorary title of "One of the Girls". He was charming and easily joined the conversation. I hope he had as much fun with us as we did with him.

On our last morning, as I looked around the breakfast table, it occurred to me that I would love to live closer to these women and "hang out" with them more often. I recalled how much I had liked them back then, and how much I still like them.

17 comments:

CarmenSinCity said...

I love a guy that is comfortable around women. I love it when they gossip with us, I love it when they are honest about our outfits and what looks good, and I love it when they don't mind if they talk turns sexual etc. I hope to marry someone like that!

Anonymous said...

A sign of true friendship is still liking each other through the years and so easily falling back into that easy chatter.

I'm glad you had such great fun.

katy said...

that sounded like one great reunion, its great to be with friends, to laugh and to talk. glad you had a good time, glad you are back

Peggy said...

It sounds like you had a great time. Its great to hang out with old friends. I find that I am so much more forgiving of personality quirks and down right odd behavior of my oldest friends. Perhaps as you gals don't get together very often, the quirks were packed away for a few days.

Kell said...

I'm so glad you had a great time. You knew you'd have fun, but it sounds like you had a fantastic time. I loved "organ recital" that's too funny.

Melissa said...

Sounds like a wonderful time, Betty! I met up with a couple of high school girlfriends last year, and I can't wait to do it again.

Annie said...

I love reunions like that one where you seem to pick up again, laughing and talking and bringing each other up to date. I hope you stayed at Carnall Hall - that is where you meant, isn't it?

Betty said...

carmen: I hope you find someone like that, too.

susan and her indoors: It was great. I'd do it again next week, if I could.

peggy: Peoples' quirks are what make them interesting.

Kell: "Organ recital" was just the right thing to get us going.

melissa: Reunions are wonderful, now that we have time for them.

annie: Yes, we did stay at Carnall. That was the dorm we all lived in way back when. I'm glad they restored it, as it really is a historic building.

Galla Creek said...

Betty, I think this means that you have not changed much...you liked them then and still do. Worse would be is you thought...what did I see in these gals. teehee

Kay Dennison said...

I'm so glad you had such a wonderful reunion. Old friends are always a delight!

Betty said...

sister3: Apparently, they haven't changed much, either. It's a good thing.

QofD: No, I guess I'll stay here and look forward to our next reunion.

kay dennison: I think we value our older friendships more as we, ourselves, get older.

Anonymous said...

Old friends are a true delight!!

Helena said...

This story has made a happy start to my Sunday morning! What a pleasue to read. Good on ya girls (even those who aren't strictly female!).

Cazzie!!! said...

I love it when we meet up with long lost friends and time changesnothing, except our outer appearance!!

Betty said...

arkansas songbird: You can say that again.

lena: I'm glad you enjoyed my story.

cazzie: Outer appearance? Why, we haven't changed a bit! LOL

Lisa said...

Betty, what a wonderful trip! I have been a bit frightened by the prospect of my grade school reunion in October, but I think you've encouraged me to go without even meaning to do it.

Rick Rockhill said...

Reunions can be fun. An old college friend came to Palm Springs with her family for a vacation and it was so nice to catch up and share laughs from 20 years ago.