Thursday, May 25, 2006

This and That for June

This is certainly shaping up to be the summer of my discontent. I did my civic duty and voted in the Democratic Primary the other day to no avail. Looks as if my candidate isn't going to win. To be perfectly honest, I don't really care about that particular state office, but the young man who was running is someone I have known all his life, and his parents are good friends. I'm sorry they're going to be disappointed.

-------------

A group of my friends, who all live in other towns in Arkansas and Texas want to get together in Fayetteville next month, and stay at the Inn at Carnall Hall, which is where we all lived for a time when we were in college. I'd love to see them, but I just don't want to pay $120.00 per night for two nights sleeping on an uncomfortable bed, and then another $200.00+ for meals at the restaurant. Their meals are as overpriced as the rooms, and not all that good. Gripe, gripe, gripe. I'm trying to convince them that we could stay at another hotel land those who want to can go and tour Carnall. We could probably save 50% on the trip that way. This idea probably won't fly, so I'll then have to decide whether to opt for another hotel myself and go and visit with them at Carnall, or just stay home. It's not only bad for my budget to pay those prices, it's also against my religion. Ha ha.

--------------

I took my car in to be serviced today, and just got that bad news. My battery has to be replaced (which I figured) and so does my air conditioner (which I hadn't anticipated). I knew the air conditioner wasn't pumping very cool air. But, what I didn't know is that it is leaking, and since the car is elderly, and the air conditioner requires Freon, they can't just fix it, they have to convert it to the newfangled stuff, whatever that is. All I can say is that for $900.00, I'd better be able to hang meat in that car.

---------------

Lay and Skilling - guilty, guilty, guilty. Goody! Now, let's go after some more CEOs. And, while we're at it, let's vote out most of the House and Senate and start over with some people who have an interest in doing something good for American people, not just American corporations.

---------------

My British friend was in the United States a few weeks ago, and was appalled by the fact that so many millions of Americans have no health insurance. He lived here 22 years ago, for a short time, and can't believe the changes that have occurred since then, and very few of them good. He doesn't know the half of it. My son's friend in the Netherlands thinks we are rapidly turning into a fascist country. As Sinclair Lewis said: "When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flad and carrying a bible." Something to think about.

Rant over.

No comments: